Saturday 9 June 2012

New Barry M Chameleon Pink

Yesterday in Superdrug I spotted three Barry M "Chameleon"shades, right next to the crackles and the magnetics so I gathered that was a new concept they were trying to launch (well, No.7 did have Miracle Plum).

These polishes are dubbed Chameleon because they apply one colour and as soon as a clear polish is added to it, they change to another colour, in this case from a frosty pink to purple. They also had blue (which turns to burgundy) and lilac (which turns to blue).


Right from the outset, I have to say, although I love Barry M to no end and it's my favourite British drugstore brand, I don't like this trend/ concept. This is just my opinion and I can see why a lot of people might actually like these.

I just about got into Magnetic and Crackle polishes when they were first released (I called them my lazy nail art) but this Chameleon one goes over my head. I mean, if I wanted my pink polish to have purple dots/ lines etc, I would just add an actual purple polish to it instead of adding a clear polish! And still be able to finish with a top coat to add longevity.

I would have much preferred if these colour-morphed like mood polishes instead!


The only good thing I can say about this polish is that's it's a true one-coater and it will probably make a good polish for stamping as it's extremely pigmented.
One of the many reasons I don't like this polish is because you cannot finish your mani off with a top coat for obvious reasons. I also tried a matte top coat and of course, it still ignites the change because even matte polish is wet upon touching the nail. I was so tired of this polish by the time I finished swatching my left hand that I couldn't even be bothered to do my other hand.

Definitely not for me, but seeing as it's only £3.99, you might want to give it a go yourself!


Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I can totally see how this polish could be frustrating. What a weird concept. Will have to check out these chameleon polishes next time I'm in Superdrug...
    Love your design with the dotting and striping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure about what this polish does when I heard about it. So it only changes colour if you apply a different clear and not try to apply a second coat of the same chameleon colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! If you apply any clear polish, that's when it changes colour. A second coat of the Chameleon polish itself won't change the colour!

      Delete
  3. Lazy nail art; you made me smile there ;) You've got a point, no top coat, no longevity. So I guess it's more like one-soirée nail art :) The color is actually great, let's see what you come up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would have been nice if it were to react with something other than a top coat, although I'm not sure what...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose so but I think the whole concept was to get people who don't usualy buy a lot of polish (totally not our case) to buy this as they would get 2 colours in 1! If people had to buy another "product" alongside the polish to make it work, it would defeat the point and they wouldn't bother!

      Delete
  5. I can definitely see how this would get frustrating. It's still a pretty colour though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seent that myself, but I agree with you... I prefer to mix colours using other polishes and to be able to wear a top coat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, it's not a trend that interests me. I had one of the No7 colour changing polishes (exactly the same principle) about five years ago, way before I got into nail art, and I didn't even use that much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not picking up these polishes. I agree with you I would prefer mood polishes effect instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This concept does not appeal to me at all, when first herd chameleon it thought it'd be mood colour changing polish thingys, but this is so disappointing : (
    Also if you wanted to put a top coat on top of this polish for longevity it'd change colour? Urgh, frustrating ! loll enough ranting in your comments now loll, sorry !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't see me buying these anytime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really like your honesty in this post. I'm very um and ah as to whether to get these x

    ReplyDelete
  12. These seem pretty pointless to me but to some they might be good if they get bored of the pink so all they have to do to get a new mani as it were is to paint a topcoat on top? Meh definitely will be giving these a miss but thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the nail art that went with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's very interesting in theory, but like you said, with the top coat problem, I don't know that it works in execution. Maybe if it had a special striper polish that came with, that would cause the chemical reaction...but then, yeah, just use any old striper to do the same thing without being limited to Chameleon's other shade.

    I like that polish makers are trying some new ideas, but I'm not sure this one's a winner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...